Many patients are hesitant to move forward with orthodontic treatment because they want to avoid the hassle of metal wires and brackets. Well, Invisalign is a modern solution that allows you to discreetly and comfortably get the straight smile you’ve always wanted! Of course, you must wear the clear aligners for at least 22 hours a day to ensure successful treatment. While that may sound downright impossible, here are some tips to make that wear time more realistic.
Why Do You Need to Wear Invisalign for 22 Hours?
Instead of using metal wires and brackets, Invisalign uses a series of clear aligners to gradually move your teeth into proper alignment. Each set of plastic trays is worn for a predetermined amount of time, usually about two weeks. Using micro-movements, they gently shift a portion of your smile until the entire thing is aligned. It’s worth noting that the clear aligners are only effective when they’re in physical contact with teeth. For that reason, Invisalign strongly recommends that the trays be worn at least 20 to 22 hours per day.
How to Meet the Mandatory Invisalign Wear Time
Failing to meet the recommended wear time can cause your treatment to result in complications, discomfort, or even delays. Luckily, there are a few ways you can make that wear time more realistic, such as:
- Removing your aligners for a certain amount of time every day. You can take them out for 15 minutes at breakfast, 30 minutes at lunch, and 60 minutes at dinner. That way, you’ll have enough wiggle room for snacks and maintenance.
- Using an app. The Tray Minder app can help track your wear time throughout the day.
- Multi-tasking. While your trays are out for dinner, you can place them in a glass of warm water with cleaning crystals so they can get cleaned while you eat.
- Establishing a solid oral hygiene routine. Get into the habit of brushing, flossing, and rinsing right after eating and before putting your trays back in!
- Advancing to your new set of trays right before bed. This will help keep your discomfort to a minimum and prevent you from wanting to remove your aligners.
If you’re having trouble meeting the 22-hour Invisalign wear time, try the tips outlined above. They’ll help you easily accomplish that goal, allowing you to get a straighter smile in no time!
About the Practice
At Pure Dental Spa, we offer high-quality, personable, and comprehensive services for patients of all ages. Our goal is to help everyone achieve and maintain their very best smiles. If you have any questions about your Invisalign, don’t hesitate to reach out. You can make an appointment via our website or call our office.